Having assessed the emergency manual, if a reach or throw rescue is not practical, people should have knowledge of the following techniques:
- Given that a person is in difficulty 10 m from safety, demonstrate:
- Safe entry into the water
- Wade to and offer and aid to the person
- Pull the person to safety•Instruct the person
Defense position and revers
- Safe distance from the person in difficulty
Given that a person is in difficulty in deep water, demonstrate a rescue as follows:
- Enter the water using a stride or other appropriate entry.
- Reassure the person during the approach.
- Keep a safe distance, adopt the defensive position and pass a flotation aid.
- Accompany the person to safety, while keeping a safe distance from the person in difficulty.
NOTE: It is vital that pupils are warned to keep a safe distance from swimmers in difficulty – contact rescues are not to be taught at Learn to Swim Levels